2020 has been like a Tornado that won't stop! I'm a pretty relaxed, chill person most of the time, but this year has just been the year of NON-STOP stressful events and news! Covid-19 lock down since March right after going through several MS attacks back to back and starting a new powerful med that makes me immuno-compromised. The news over this last week has pretty much just sent me over the edge of sanity with the terrible news of George Floyd's death by police brutality and the resulting peaceful protests overshadowed by the worst humans on earth taking advantage of businesses small and large by looting, destruction and inciting violence!! This is just awful. 😥 My heart goes out to George Floyd's family and to all those trying to make change happen through protests, but I fear the violence and looting may make the message unclear. So basically, my morning news feed has been nothing but negativity for months and I'm about to lose it!!!😩 If you've lost someone to Covid, lost your job, feel stressed out about this year in general...you definitely need to read on!!
Stress can cause serious issues like high blood pressure, headaches, nausea, stomach aches, restlessness, insomnia...the list is long. Everyone processes stress differently. While you might not experience some or all of these symptoms, some people just look stressed out all the time. I'm the type that will internalize my stress (I look fine on the outside, but on the inside I'm like a twisted knot-not good for me since I have Multiple Sclerosis.)
Stress is not fun in any way, but we all have to deal with it. If you are feeling overwhelmed, here are 10 things you can initiate right now to help keep stress to a minimum:
1. LIMIT YOUR NEWS FEED/SCREEN TIME. 🙈 📴💻 The amount of information constantly streaming on TV and social media regarding Covid, protests, looting and violence are just too much for some people. If you need to be up on current events, limit your exposure to once a day, but make sure you have Fluorite, Black Tourmaline or Smokey Quartz on hand to help protect you from the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) These stones will help create a barrier between you and the EMF and any negative energies you're feeling when seeing/reading about all of the crazy awful news out there. Or watch 🌎 SGN with John Krasinski. It will help put a smile on your face while hearing about Some Good News!
2. BREATHE IN. HOLD IT. BREATHE OUT. 👃This is one of my GO-TO easy simple ways to relax and calm my mind anywhere. Just sit in a comfortable position-at home, in the office, in your car (while parked please!) Just close your eyes and breathe in through your nose slowly, count to 5. Hold the breath for 6 or 8 seconds. Slowly release your breath out from your mouth in 5-6 seconds. Just do this 3 times and watch how much more relaxed you become. Don't think of anything except counting the seconds you're breathing in, holding and exhaling.
3. MEDITATE. 🧘♂️ If you can clear your mind from all the terrible news, thoughts, issues in our world right now I applaud you! Meditation is not easy, but everyone can do it. Use the above breathing exercises to start your meditation. Try to go for 5 minutes at first. Then 10 minutes. Then work your way up to 30 minutes or more daily. Add crystals to your mediation practice such as Selenite, Amethyst or Labradorite. I promise it's a game changer! Hold them in your hands as you meditate or have them placed on your chakras while laying down. They will enhance your meditation and get you direct access to angels, spirit guides, God, Buddha, etc. Add scenery to your meditation also...top of a mountain, at the beach, a quiet garden, the desert. Whatever gets you closer to peace and quiet which is super important for getting to a meditative state.
4. EXERCISE. 🚴♀️ Nothing beats stress like a good sweat! Playing tennis-smack that ball hard. Running-do a sprint. Walking-add ankle weights. Hiking-keep going..you can go further. Yoga-hold your pose a little longer. Push your body (without hurting yourself.) That feeling you get afterwards is a happy sweaty exhaustion and wow-it's amazing. Endorphins are great...and they make you happy, not stressed out. Try it!
5. GET TO THE WATER.🌅Water is purifying, pure, cleansing literally and spiritually. When you go to the beach, ocean, lake-ANY body of water will do, even a pool. Spend at least an hour there just watching and focusing on nature all around you, the sound of the water, the waves, the birds, the fish, whatever is there...you'll be amazed at how it is instantly calming. If you can't get outside, just get in your shower, turn on the hot water first, then change it to cool water and let it rain down on you. Ahhhhh! Feels amazing!
6. PRACTICE SELF-CARE. 💅One of the hottest new categories at Whyte Quartz are our crystal self-care products. With good reason. The act of taking care of your face and body with crystals will also help soothe your soul. Try the Rose Quartz Copper Face Roller which will calm inflammation and is the true epitome of "Self-Love!" Or our new vibrating Amethyst face tool to relax face lines, wrinkles and muscles, or try one of our Gua Sha Massage tools-really great at getting out stubbornly tight muscles anywhere on your body. Or paint your nails with super strong Roxx Polish! This stuff is amazing, stays on for a long time,
7. LAUGH. 🤣😅😆Laughing can actually improve your stress levels almost instantly! Try it right now. Laughing helps people live longer-because it reduces stress. Watch your favorite comedian on Netflix. Find your favorite funny scene from a TV show or movie on YouTube. Whatever it is that tickles your funny bone...do it!
8. LET YOUR INNER CHILD OUT TO PLAY. 🏃♀️🛴🍧We all need to have more fun, happy moments thrills and wonders. Think about what you loved to do as a child and do it! Sing at the top of your lungs, dance like no one is watching, ride that roller coaster, twirl around, throw that ball, draw a unicorn or heart, paint something! Let your creative, fun and carefree inner child OUT!
9. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH LOVE. Loving thoughts, loving actions, loving words...they make a difference. Give someone you love a hug. Send someone a little gift who needs a smile, do something because it's nice and thoughtful. It doesn't have to cost you anything! You can literally just smile at someone or let them in front of you in line at the post office. You may have just made someone's day! Be kind to strangers, family, friends. Check out Mel's Love Land: 100 Days of Love, where Mel poses the question "What if all our thoughts are loving." Great docu-series to watch.
There are so many ways to help reduce stress. I hope you find what works for you and don't be afraid to try something new and different! Send us your comments on how YOU are de-stressing right now.